Onivia doubles in size and expands its coverage over two million homes nationwide
- Onivia’s investors Macquarie Capital, Aberdeen Standard Investments and Daiwa Energy & Infrastructure have acquired a majority stake in a wholesale Fibre-to-the-Home network which will cover c. 1.1 million building units from MasMovil
- Onivia will incorporate this new fibre to the home network to its footprint expanding its coverage to more than 1.000 municipalities of less than 25.000 inhabitants, complementing the metropolitan areas already covered by Onivia.
- The transaction has been supported by the Onivia investors – Macquarie Capital, Aberdeen Standard Investments and Daiwa Energy & Infrastructure Co. Ltd
- As part of the agreement, MasMovil retains full ownership for its existing customers in the sold network and will continue to use it to support its customers. Another major Spanish internet service provider, Orange, is also an anchor customer on the network
Madrid – April, 30th 2021
Onivia, Spain’s first neutral and independent wholesale fibre network operator, is to double in size following the acquisition of a majority stake in a rural network by Onivia’s investers. The transaction agreed with Masmovil, will see Onivia take control of a fibre to the home network covering 1.1 million homes across Spain, meaning the business can provide Spain’s internet service providers with a cost effective, independent means to serve customers. Over a thousand communities of less than 25.000 inhabitants will be served by this network.
The acquisition of a majority stake in this rural fibre network was undertaken by Onivia’s current owners, Macquarie Capital, Aberdeen Standard Investments and Daiwa Energy & Infrastructure Co. Ltd.
As part of the acquisition, MasMovil retains full ownership for its existing customers in the sold network and Orange and Masmovil will be anchor customers on the network and continue to use it to provide reliable, ultrafast broadband connectivity to their customers across these greenfield areas.
José Antonio Vázquez, CEO of Onivia, said: “This transaction confirms the Onivia’s commitment to continue growing in footprint, extending our reach nationwide by helping to close the digital divide between rural and urban areas and providing an access model for local and regional operators fast and flexible complementing our Impulsa bitstream service.”
Onivia was created in late 2019, when a Macquarie Capital led consortium acquired MasMovil’s urban fibre network, which covers Spain’s five largest cities and their metropolitan areas. After this first year of operation Onivia has gained a position as a reference wholesale operator with many ISPs on boarding on its network apart from MasMovil and Orange.
About Macquarie Capital
Macquarie Group Limited is a diversified financial group providing clients with asset management and finance, banking, advisory and risk and capital solutions across debt, equity, and commodities. Founded in 1969, Macquarie employs 16,356 people in 31 markets. At 30 September 2020, Macquarie had assets under management of £308.7 billion. For further information, visit www.macquarie.com.
Macquarie Capital is a leading global specialist in infrastructure, energy, and utilities. We have been at the forefront of infrastructure innovation for more than 25 years – as an adviser, investor, and developer. Alongside our clients and partners, we create sustainable and resilient infrastructure and energy assets that power, move, and connect communities around the world. Macquarie Capital specialises in infrastructure development with £18 billion currently under construction or development globally. Macquarie Capital’s Infrastructure Principal and Projects business specialises in the development and construction of projects across transportation, social and digital infrastructure.
About Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. With over 1,000 investment professionals, we manage £456.9 billion* of assets worldwide and have clients in c.80 countries. (*as of 31 December 2020)
- We are high-conviction, long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has over 1 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- You can access the Aberdeen Standard Investments media centre here: https://www.aberdeenstandard.com/news-and-media
About Daiwa Energy & Infrastructure (DEI) DEI is a core strategic subsidiary of Daiwa Securities Group Ltd., for exploring further investment opportunities in infrastructure assets, renewable energy and resource. The balance of investment is JPY 1,176 million (About EUR 900 million) at the end of March 2021.
Daiwa Securities Group has been a driving force for initiatives in addressing social issues through its continuous efforts in product development and provision for more than ten years. To accelerate our initiatives, Daiwa established the SDGs Promotion Committee chaired by Seiji Nakata (President and CEO of Daiwa Securities Group Inc.) and recently assigned Keiko Tashiro (Deputy President) as the Head of SDGs. DEI will continue to invest to digital infrastructure sector to promote these Goals. For further information, visit https://www.daiwa-ei.jp/en/.